Monday, July 13, 2009

I Say No to that Proposal


This weekend Hector and I went to go see a matinee of The Proposal. It was pretty much what I had expected it to be (besides Betty White's participation in a Native American chant around a campfire in the middle of nowhere). Another element I did not expect was the lack of chemistry between Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds. I believed that after their time at his family's home he finally respected her but I do not for a second believe that he fell in love with her. Their was absolutely NO chemistry other than an amicable brotherly/sisterly love.


My slight disappoint got me thinking about romantic comedies in general and their decline in plot and believability. In the movie she holds Andrew's family dog in the air in hopes that an eagle will trade the dog for her cellphone which the fowl had previously snatched. She also sings and dances to "Get Low" while chanting with Gammy in the forest. Both of these scenarios are completely unbelievable to me and can completely ruin an entire film's credibility.
The most recent chick flicks I've seen include Bride Wars, Ghost of Girlfriend's Past and the Proposal. All of these films featured elements of the unbelievable including Matthew Mcconaughey's transformation from D-Bag status to sudden likability. I don't buy it for a second. Once a serial womanizer, always a serial womanizer.
Getting back to the point...romantic comedies just aren't what they once were (with the exception of He's Just Not That Into You...absolutely love that one). I miss the days of While You Were Sleeping, Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail, etc. While they had plots that were out of the ordinary, they were still plausible and the main characters had CHEMISTRY.

The moral of the story is...can we bring these chick flicks back to earth please?

1 comments:

Katy said...

COULDN'T AGREE MORE. Brittany. You've got skills. I already knew that, having been your roommate and watched you dominate in the movie/actor/actress name game, but you bring honesty and life into movie reviews. I like it. That is all. Hope all is well. LOVE YA